THE PERFECT SHOT
Ingredients for the perfect espresso:
- Freshly roasted beans from Mountain View Roasterie - Fresh beans are the key and should be used between 24 hours and 7 to 10 days of roasting.
- Bottled spring or filtered water - Water quality is a factor that most effects the quality of your espresso.
- Espresso maker - A pump driven machine capable of heating water to 90 to 96°C (192 to 200°F) and delivering the water at 9BAR pressure (~130 PSI). Preheat the espresso maker and portafilter.
- Burr grinder - Grind immediately before use and aim for a grind that is very fine and gritty but not dust powder. Use 6 to 8 grams of coffee for a single shot and 12 to 15 grams for a double shot.
- Adequate tamp - Tamp with a pressure of ~30 pounds and finish with a twist that polishes the surface of the coffee.
Activate the pump switch on your espresso maker and if all of the above variables are correct the result will be ~1 ounce shot for a single and ~2 ounce shot for a double, rich and full of crema that pours in ~25 seconds.